Total Pageviews

Monday, May 19, 2014

Rubik's Cube turns 40

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2014/05/19/rubiks-cube-google-celebrates-40th-anniversary-of-toy-puzzles-invention-with-interactive-and-addictive-doodle/



Early 1981: after playing with the cube on/off for a few weeks, I woke up on a Sunday morning and said to myself: TODAY IS THE DAY THAT I WILL SOLVE THIS. 9 hours later, it was DONE! (Halfway through my grandmother came over and she wanted ...to try it. Within seconds, she ruined whatever progress I had.) I got the corners by partial luck and then figured out the edges. I didn't fully understand my algorithms. The next day it took me only 4 hours. The day after - 2 hours. Eventually I came up with an algorithm for the corners. I know that my method is slow - my fastest time is about 2 minutes. I'm resistant to learn the faster methods because I didn't figure them out myself. Erno Rubik is a great man.


Mr. Erno Rubik could be the most influential person of the 20th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment